baby

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Week 22 - Pregnancy gingivitis

I finally went to the dentist yesterday and I was very happy to.  My teeth have been giving me a lot of trouble lately.  He said I had pregnancy gingivitis and he sees it all the time.  The changing hormones are affecting my mouth as well!  It's interesting all that goes on, the dentist said I was building plaque, which means my mouth is more basic now, where as before it was very acidic.  Yes, I stuck a litmus paper in my mouth some time ago so I know! ha ha ha.

It is difficult to tell whether what I'm feeling right now is the baby or just any other movement of my body.  I think it's her, but I have my doubts.  We'll see in time :)

This week Sofia will start to discover more of her senses and be aware of the world around her.  She may weigh up to a pound (454 grams) by the end of this week.  NOTE - The blog says the baby is the size of a papaya, but in Mexico, papayas are a bout 2 or 3 times bigger than here, so my Mexican family and friends, don't think she's that big :)  The baby's sense of touch and taste progress this week and the taste buds begin to form.  The baby's brain and nerve endings mature enough to process the sensation of touch.  The reproductive system keeps developing as well.  The surface of the brain which has been smooth until now, will develop folds.  These hills and valleys in the brain will continue to develop until week 34 to eventually house all the brain cells.  And by now, the baby recognizes my voice and probably Thomas' as well.  I like to sing to her, I hope she doesn't take my voice the standard of good music ha ha ha :)

Around this time, my feet should start growing as well.  Most moms go up half a size in shoe size.  That is due to the hormone called relaxin, which relaxes ligaments, including the ones in the feet.  For now, my shoes fit, but we'll see :)

Sofia has been very laid back during pregnancy.  She's been cooperative in all the ultrasounds and has given mom no discomfort.   I wonder if that is indicative of how her personality is going to be... we shall see.  Speaking of which, we will have another ultrasound in our next visit on March 5th, so we will have another peak inside at her.

We are still waiting for baby Audrey, she should be born any time now or next week.  Ruth is doing well though her sciatic nerve still hurts.  I can't wait to meet her!


Baby Development at 22 Weeks Pregnant
http://similac.com/pregnancy/22-weeks-pregnant-baby-growth-development

3 comments:

Jorge said...

Monica:

Because I know you from the very beginning I can say that you were also quiet at that stage, you were so quiet at the early stages of your life. But suddenly it changed dramatically! Quiet waters are deep.

What I can see is that Sophia will be a good sleeper as well as you are or your Mom (family inheritance).

There could be another reason, like your mother used to say: "I sleep well because I do not have any debts"

Jorge

Unknown said...

well said george. Richard solonenko

Unknown said...

Hi Monica! Glad you went to the dentist before the gingivitis has gotten any worse. My wife developed pregnancy gingivitis about a year ago as well. We've had numerous trips to the dental Hilton Head clinic because it was giving my wife so much trouble and we are worried about the complications it may bring to her pregnancy. Luckily, the local Hilton Head dentist is very knowledgeable about this gum disease and he was periodically looking after my wife to prevent the disease from progressing into a serious periodontitis. It was a blessing that my wife has been treated early for the gum disease and gave birth to a healthy baby boy!