baby

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Week 21 - Day care horrors in Victoria TX

These past few weeks I have been visiting the different day cares in this town.  I have been very disappointed in the quality of care offered.  The first few daycares I visited almost make me cry.  I first visited one and the lobby was merely a hall.  Anyone could walk in to where the babies are.  Not good.  A few of the rooms were empty and this place was so dark.  The teachers were not friendly and hardly talked.  Needless to say I ran out of that one.  Another one of them even smelled of cigarettes.  Most of them were run down, paint peeling off the walls, and one of them was even out of a mobile home!!  However, I did luck out in the end :)  One of the daycares is a very clean and well taken care of property with a high level of training and education for the teachers.  Whew!! Last week i also found another one I liked.  It's in a baptist church but I liked that the ratio of infants to teachers was less and every 4 infants have a room to themselves.  So my choice won't be very hard.  It's between those two.  Now Thomas will go visit them and I'll have his input so we can decide.

So now for the fun stuff, the baby.  Tomorrow we have our ultrasound and will let everyone know what we are having as soon as we know :)

This week, the baby is about 7 inches long (~18cm) and weighs 11 ounces (312 grams).  About the size of a banana.  The digestive system is being put to work as the baby swallows amniotic fluid and absorbs some sugar from it.  Since the amniotic fluid changes with my diet, the baby can get a little taste of what I eat through it.  I have been craving a lot of hot stuff, so I'm sure she has a taste for it by now.  Also, the bone marrow is now taking over the job of making blood cells.  The baby's arms and legs are in proportion now and the movements are becoming more coordinated.   But I still can't feel them.

Mom's body is getting ready as well, and early milk, called colostrum can be produced even this early in the pregnancy.  My teeth have been giving me some trouble lately, seems like they are very sensitive and the gums are irritated most of the time.  Thank God I have an appointment next week with my dentist :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you found some good daycares. Our favorite here in McKinney is at a Baptist Church. The teachers are so much nicer cause they want to be there, don't have to be there. In fact, there's a waiting list for people wanting to work there. Sad that you have to pay more than college costs to get a good daycare these days. Guess that's why I'm home most of the time now, can't afford fulltime daycare for two, lol.

Good luck on your teeth. Pregnancy can really do a job on them and bone loss is a given. I got 4 cavities from Davin (hadn't had that many cavities in my life before). Guess all the Tums & milk in the middle of the night due to heartburn didn't help...

Keep us posted on what you're having.

Dawn

Jorge Jimenez said...

So he/she will be ready for the hot Mexican stuff eh? Nevertheless remember that you were not used to have hot peppers until you were 15, no matter how much salsa you mother ate.

I cannot wait to know that the baby is a boy or girl. I want a healthy read haired boy, blue eyed also, like his father. Yeah, I know I was not of the ones that want to know the sex in advance, but I have made up my mind lately.

I will be exited until the suspense is dissipated.


Jorge